Monday, August 27, 2012

The American Film Institute has ranked Sunset Blvd as one of the 100 best American films of the 20th century, in your opinion why is the film still celebrated today?


I personally enjoyed the film Sunset Blvd.  I don’t know if I would rank it as one of the 100 best American films, but I would certainly recommend it as a movie that should be seen at least once.

The film offered a unique insight into the film industry as it made a transition from silent films to “talkies.”  The story is told with plot twists that includes several love triangles (between Joe, Norma, and Betty) (between Joe, Betty, and Betty’s fiancé) and (between Joe, Norma, and Max [the first husband]).  The film is almost like an episode of Jerry Springer.  The basic plot of the film is even a little racy considering the time period.  Joe was a younger man that was living with an older wealthy woman.

The story is relatable to most people.  Everybody knows somebody that is down on their luck.  I personally liked the character of Joe and even respected the fact that he let Betty go so she could marry his friend.  Joe didn’t want to leave Norma for another woman.  He wanted to leave Norma and regain control of his life…to just go home to Ohio.  Of course he didn’t succeed.

Sunset Boulevard is a love story, a comedy, a tragedy…and so much more.  It’s still celebrated because the characters are developed and the story is well written.  I’ve heard the line hundreds of times, “I’m ready for my close up Mr. Demille,”  but I never knew what film this line referenced until now.  That line is still parodied and used because that film holds some relevance.

1 comment:

Awesome Inc. theme. Theme images by clintspencer. Powered by Blogger.